Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pictures of Feeding Tube Records Window

Andrea Newland Feeding Tube Records November 5 to 30, 2012 This group of work is a mix of different materials I am interested in- paint, fabric and mixed media. I approach quilting in a similar way to painting, arranging compositions by looking for shapes, colors, textures and patterns that are pleasing to the eye. With quilting I often start with a small section and it grows until it is large enough to join another piece. Eventually they all come together in a Queen sized quilt. The stretched pieces of quilt idea hatched when I couldn’t bear to loose a small idea to the bigger whole, so I decided to stretch it like a canvas as wall art. I also like to have an element of humor in my work. The large painting on paper completed in Florence, Italy, during semester abroad is entitled “Selfish Shellfish.” An oyster showing off it’s pearl like it were a tongue ring juxtaposed with a lady with a string of pearls slipping through her lips. “Everything Kitchen Sink” is a mixed media mess including a dollhouse porcelain sink I found on the street. Much of the buttons, rusty nails, string and dirt in this painting were swept up off the studio floor and mixed into the whirling dervish. The painting facing the front door, “Chapter 5: City Hall,” is an excerpt from an altered book I made, then drew and painted the two pages to become a larger painting. I draw inspiration from many different projects, playing with that crossover to try and create something that has never been seen before. Go check it out what this shop has to offer @: Go look at the work, buy and album and tell them I sent you. It will be up til about November 30th.

No comments:

Post a Comment