Monday, July 23, 2012

Painted Shoes and Altered Books for Kids

I am having a great time teaching at summer art camp for the Monson Arts Council. With 2nd through 7th graders we made altered books using up gobs of glue, paint and paper. The kids really embraced the project and made it their own. I'm so proud of them! On the last day of class last Friday I made a speech that they are all such creative, cooperative students. And even if you don't think of yourself as an artist you can always keep being creative; painting, drawing or playing music! It is important to challenge the young people in our lives to explore their imaginations and to commend them for it. All it takes is for an adult they look up to to tell them they are talented, because too often a harsh comment shuts the creative place in the brain down. Also, check out these shoes I painted! My cousin Erica saw something like it in Vogue, and commissioned me to paint a pair for her friends' birthday. They are acrylic on silk heels, Starry Night inspired. A few other images can be found in "Mixed Goods."

No comments:

Post a Comment